Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Tostadas, little dogs named Harry, and small spaces

Carmel last weekend; Harry Potter themed sand castle contest! This was one of my favorites:




...Today was a beautiful day in Salinas! Last week was colder (mid-to-lower 60's) and windier, but this week warmed up significantly. I skipped Spanish class last night to go to yoga and it was phenomenal (I take Spanish classes at the community college as part of my AmeriCorps "training").

My school's teachers' lounge is pretty tiny, yet they manage to pull off several luncheons per month and today was the first I went to: tostada bar! Everyone brought something and the food was muy deliciosa! My friend Marina helped me make guacamole - I brought avacadoes and she brought a ton of other stuff and we mixed it all together at school. There was such a lively atmosphere and music that I almost forgot where I was! I could have been at a Mexican family get-together. This luncheon in particular was a farewell to our principal who will be moving on to an administrative position. He seemed like a really wonderful, motivated person (for the 3 weeks I sort of knew him) and the school will miss him alot. Now the assistant principal has become the principal, but we have nobody to fill her old position. Things are hectic around school for sure, and space is limited -- did I mention that the 5 AmeriCorps tutors have no designated place to tutor? We've been using the stage in the cafeteria/multipurpose room, which is tiny and we basically get kicked out by the noise of assemblies and lunch hour. It's our only option so we just do it.

So I guess the theme for today is making the most of your limited space! Apply to your life as you see fit.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Ok Erin, my life seems limited compared to yours! It makes me proud to see that you're getting the most out of your dreams! Keep smiling!!

Anonymous said...

ahhh limited space....welcome to teaching =) (not that i'm an official teacher yet, but i have been in many classrooms where creativity was in demand for making the most of tiny spaces...)